You are hereBack to top
Mexico’s Avocado Exports to China Up 207% in 2021
Between January and August of this year, China’s avocado imports increased significantly, especially those from Mexico. According to trade data from China Customs, China imported 24,670 metric tons of avocados during the first eight months of 2021, of which 5,539 metric tons or 22.5% originated from Mexico. The former figure corresponds to a year-on-year increase of 30.4% with respect to the first eight months of 2020, during which China imported 18,912 metric tons of avocados, of which 1,804 metric tons or 9.5% came from Mexico, while the latter figure corresponds to a year-on-year increase of 207% for China’s avocado imports from Mexico.
According to a recent report by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service, Mexico’s avocado exports are expected to fall by 8% in marketing year 2021/22 (July to June) to an estimated total of 1.33 million metric tons. The United States is set to remain the largest importer of Mexican avocados, receiving approximately 80% of the annual export volume. High demand for avocados in the United States is typically observed in the run ups to the Super Bowl (January to February) and the Cinco de Mayo holiday (April to May). However, at present, only avocados from the state of Michoacán are permitted to enter the United States. Other major overseas markets for Mexican avocados include Canada, Japan and Spain, while China typically accounts for less than 1% of total annual exports.
Mexico is the world’s largest avocado producer, accounting for approximately 30% of global production. In MY 2021/22, the country is expected to witness a relatively small avocado crop as a result of reduced tree productivity, with the production volume forecast at 2.33 million metric tons, 8% lower than that in MY 2020/21. The Hass variety still dominates Mexico’s avocado production, accounting for 97% of the total crop, with the Criollo and Fuerte cultivars making up the remaining 3%.
Owing to strong market demand and high profitability, the planted area for avocados in Mexico has been increasing by an average of 3% annually in recent years. In MY 2021/22, the planted area and harvested area for the crop are predicted to stand at 227,126 and 225,910 hectares, respectively. Although Mexican avocados are available throughout the year, the peak supply season is between October and February, with average supply from March to May and limited supply between June and September.
This article was translated from Chinese. Read the original article.
March 27, 2023
March 23, 2023
March 22, 2023
March 21, 2023
March 20, 2023
March 13, 2023
March 06, 2023
March 08, 2023
March 05, 2023
March 07, 2023
- Universal Capital Gr · Ecuador
- AGRI GATEX LIMITED · Africa
- Qualipac Pty Ltd · Australia
- Joshua Lim · Malaysia
- City fresh fruit co. · Thailand
- Chun lin orchard-Sel · Taiwan nan
Add new comment