You are here

Back to top

Peru’s Table Grape Exports Set To Hit Record High in 2023/24

January 01, 2024

According to the Peru: Fresh Deciduous Fruit Annual report recently released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service, Peru’s table grape production is forecast to total 775,500 metric tons in the 2023/24 season (October to September), representing a 1% increase over the previous season. Despite several adverse factors such as a warm winter, heavy rainfall, floods and economic paralysis triggered by political unrest, grape production in Peru has been minimally affected.

Peru’s grape cultivation is primarily concentrated in coastal areas. Temperatures in the country’s coastal desert regions fluctuate between 9 and 30 degrees Celsius throughout the year, with more than 12 hours of daily sunlight, making them ideal places for growing grapes. These conditions, coupled with precision irrigation, allow vines in Peru to mature up to 55% faster than those in neighboring countries.

The total planting area for table grapes in Peru is estimated at 35,000 hectares, with Ica and Piura being major producing regions. The grape harvesting season begins in late October and extends until April. The harvest for the 2023/24 season started 14–20 days earlier than usual on account of weather conditions. Benefiting from innovative technological management, the Piura region is now able to realize two harvests per year, with grapes available in both March to April and November to December.

The top five varieties, namely, Red Globe (30%), Sweet Globe (22%), Autumn Crisp (9%), Allison (7%) and Crimson (5%), account for 73% of the total planted area. At present, 70% of the cultivation area is under licensing agreements, while the remaining 30% is designated for traditional vendors, highlighting the significant influence of market dynamics on the industry. Official data reveal that Peru exported 26 grape varieties to 53 destinations in the 2022/23 season.

Peru’s table grape exports in the 2023/24 season are estimated to reach a record-breaking 595,000 metric tons, marking a 2% year-on-year increase. Fresh table grapes are Peru’s second-largest export commodity. Owing to increasing export volumes, the export revenue surpassed $1.36 billion in 2022, representing a 9% increase from the previous year. The United States was the largest overseas market in 2022 with an export volume of 250,814 metric tons, followed by the Netherlands at 74,949 metric tons. Meanwhile, China (including Hong Kong) ranked as the third-largest export destination, accounting for 11% of total exports.

According to China Customs, Peru exported 63,092 metric tons or $194 million worth of table grapes to China in 2022. In the first nine months of 2023, exports of Peruvian table grapes to China amounted to 41,333 metric tons and $129 million.

The report also noted that the China-backed construction of Chancay Port is still underway and it could become operational for grape exports as early as November 2024. This port, located to the north of Lima 60 kilometers away from the existing Callao Port, is thus expected to be able to serve grape exports for the 2024/25 season. Reports suggest that the completion of the new port should boost exports to Asia, thereby strengthening Peru’s competitiveness with respect to international trade. In addition, Brazilian authorities are reportedly also considering Chancay Port as a pivotal trade gateway for exports to Asia.

Image: Pixabay

This article was based on a Chinese article. Read the original article.

Regions: 
Produce: 

Add new comment

3 + 13 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.