You are here

Back to top

Chilean Cherries Extend Strong China Presence to Lantern Festival

February 09, 2023

Eating rice dumplings during the Lantern Festival is a traditional Chinese custom passed down from one generation to the next. However, the food for this year’s festival was not just rice dumplings — Chilean cherries established a strong presence during the holiday by joining hands with instant food giant Wanchai Ferry. The company, belonging to U.S. multinational food manufacturer General Mills, sells a wide range of products including rice dumplings, wontons and steamed buns.

Rice dumplings and fresh cherries have many interesting features in common. Both are round in shape and sweet in taste, which symbolizes family reunions and happiness. Rice dumplings are a traditional festive snack, while fresh cherries also enjoy great popularity on various festivals and holidays in China. By pairing with Wanchai Ferry dumplings, the peak sales season for Chilean cherries has been successfully extended from the Chinese New Year holiday all the way to the Lantern Festival.

Wanchai Ferry began warming up for the cooperation even before Chinese New Year by encouraging netizens to guess who the company would pair up with. On the eve of the Lantern Festival, Wanchai Ferry and Chilean cherries interacted with each other through their official Weibo accounts. Both parties believe that the combination of the two auspicious food items will deliver double happiness and fortune to clients. Food bloggers, DIY experts and illustrators also gathered together to celebrate the pairing, stirring up an enthusiastic buzz among young people.

This season, Chilean cherries are estimated to witness increases in both production and sales. About 85% of cherry exports to China this season occurred before the Spring Festival, with the remaining 15% arriving during or after the holiday. However, the Chilean Cherry Committee of the Chilean Fruit Exporters Association (ASOEX) is not content with fresh cherries just being a popular snack on various festivals. To further stimulate consumption, the organization is committed to developing a habit of consuming cherries on a daily basis among Chinese customers.

Images: ASOEX

This article was based on a Chinese article. Read the original article.

Topics: 
Regions: 
Produce: 

Add new comment

16 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.